Volunteer and help support children with remote learning needs through the FAST Initiative! The Families and Schools Together (FAST) Initiative strives to bring community partners together to help address the childcare crisis facing our community. FAST is a collaboration of the Wake County Public School System (WCPSS), WakeEd Partnership, and key out of school time childcare providers and community organizations in Wake County. FAST’s primary goal is to ensure that all families in Wake County have support for remote learning during the work day, these staffed small-group and socially distanced learning centers will provide physical activity and extended learning opportunities as well. Volunteer opportunities shared are managed by members of the FAST Initiative.
About The Families and Schools Together Initiative
Learn more about the FAST Initiative here.
Volunteer Safety Requirements
We care about and rely on all of our volunteers – so this is IMPORTANT. For the health and safety of all, please do not sign up to volunteer if you:
- Are experiencing any symptoms or feel unwell
- Share space with someone who is ill
- Have recently traveled out of the country or to any COVID-19 hot spots
- Have been exposed to any confirmed case of COVID-19
Please do not put yourself or anyone else at risk by coming to volunteer when sick. Any volunteer displaying signs of illness during this project will kindly be directed to return home, monitor their health, and volunteer at another time.
Impacts of the FAST Initiative (as of December 10, 2020)
Since August, the FAST Initiative has been serving more than 3,000 students and families every week, providing safe, socially-distanced learning centers across Wake County.
- Approximately 50,000 students in total served in remote learning sites across Wake County across 46 sites and 18 weeks.
- 4,000+ students served weekly
- More than half of those students received financial assistance in addition to the subsidy/reduced cost.
- Over $800,000 in financial assistance distributed.
- Served more than 50,000 hot meals since August
Seeking other ways to volunteer to support local causes during the Coronavirus pandemic? Check out our regularly updated list of volunteer needs, including some remote volunteer projects, here.