Four Ways to Help Animals Who Need a Home in North Carolina
Did you know? The first week of November is National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week! So in this blog post, we want to shine a light on some of the amazing animal shelters and animal-serving nonprofits we have the privilege of working with around the Triangle — and how you can lend a hand (or a paw) to help animals.
We often don’t think about it, but animals in shelters have also been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Many organizations have had to stop volunteer programs due to safety reasons, which means animals are getting less human contact. Even though you may not be able to physically be there to help these animals, there are other ways in which you can make a difference!
In honor of Animal Shelter week here are four ways in which you can give back to the local animals in our community!
1. Volunteer to help animals using the materials you have at home! Using a tee-shirt, scissors, and Activate Good’s easy step-by-step instructions, you can make DIY Tee-Shirt Dog Toys for the dogs at Second Chance Pet Adoptions. Then, drop off the toys you made at their location (see instructions for address and drop off directions!).
2. Another great way to volunteer is with All Breed Animal Rescue of the Carolinas. They have monthly adoption events and are in need of volunteers. The job consists of setting up, breaking down, foster dog supervision, potty breaks, handing out information, and pitching nail trims for donations. This is a great group service project opportunity! Anyone over the age of 18 can participate. If you are interested, you can find the sign-up link here!
3. Love all types of animals? Work with the Blackdog Club on a variety of animal-related tasks!
- Dog walks, baths, and grooming. Clean kennels, dog runs, crates, and outside areas.
- Horse stalls, pasture exterior posts, and privacy fence staining. General barn cleaning.
- Cow pastures fence replaced and hot wire installed.
- 30′ privacy fence mural with rescue dog pics, paw prints, etc. Great for a person/team with artistic talents.
If you are interested, you can find the sign-up link here!
4. Use your communications and marketing skills! Rustys Rescue Ranch Inc. is looking for marketing help. They need someone to create ads and newsletters, compile email and phone call lists, and outreach to the public. The minimum age requirement is 16 years old.
In the midst of a pandemic, we often forget about how animals are affected, but these are perfect ways to show love to our animal community!
Want to see ALL volunteer opportunities that support our Community Partners serving animals? Check out our ongoing list here.