Operation Big Bus Food Truck
Volunteer and help deliver meals to hungry kids
Can you help?
Volunteers are needed to ride on buses to help get an estimated 20,000 meals per week delivered to hungry kids in Wake County!
Sign Up to Volunteer*:
*Volunteers will need to complete a brief virtual training and background check.
How It Works
Volunteers will arrive at a school location where a YMCA bus will be waiting and help load food boxes onto the bus. You’ll ride with the bus to drop off locations, help unload meals at neighborhood sites (each box weighs 15-20 lbs), then help unload materials back at the school site, where your own vehicle will be waiting for you.
Where is this happening?
All over Wake County! YMCA buses will pick up boxes of food from WCPSS cafeterias and deliver to neighborhoods and hotels all over Wake County. Each neighborhood or hotel will receive a delivery once per week. These deliveries will consist of weekly meal “bundles” that will have meals for a child for an entire week!
What’s the schedule?
There are 6 routes per day Tuesday through Thursday and one route on Fridays. Each route is approximately 4 hours starting around 10 AM and ending around 2 PM. IMPORTANT: Each route’s times vary slightly. Please pay close attention when you sign up!
You'll make a HUGE impact!
Through this effort, volunteers will help serve over 20,000 meals per week from now until the end of June! That’s over 380,000 meals!
About the Partnership
The “Big Bus Food Truck” program is a partnership between Wake County Public Schools, YMCA of the Triangle, Activate Good, and Wake County Cooperative Extension to ensure that school meals are delivered to children across Wake County who are not in school and not able to pick up meals at the school distribution sites.
February 23 – June 30, 2021
Share This Need
Upon signing up, you will…
- Receive the next steps from the YMCA (brief virtual training videos + 2 forms)
- Review training information about handling food safely and the process for loading, unloading and distributing meal boxes.
- The meals we are delivering were funded through a federal food program, and all volunteers participating in distributing food need to watch a brief video about Civil Rights.
- Complete a Training Acknowledement Form and a COVID-19 Health Screening Form.
- Please note all shifts are from 10:00a.m. until 2:00p.m. Some shifts may end earlier than 2:00 p.m., but because this is a new process, we want to make sure you block off ample time in your schedule.
COVID-19 and Safety Information
All volunteers will be required to complete a health screening including a temperature check prior to boarding the YMCA bus. All volunteers should wear a mask and close toed shoes.
Keep in touch
Sign up for our newsletter to hear about volunteer opportunities and campaigns.