What You'll Do:Help recover excess food and get it on the tables of families who need it most! Volunteers transport food from donors to local partners. You will be alerted to donation delivery opportunities via smartphone and can accept or decline each opportunity based on availability.
This opportunity has passed.
Details:Volunteer Job Description:
POSITION: Middle Mile Volunteer Driver
SUPERVISED BY: Food Bank of Central and Eastern NC staff
You can help recover excess food and get it on the tables of families who need it most! For the last year, the Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina has successfully matched donations from various food donors to our network of agency partners--over 900 nonprofit and faith-based organizations who provide direct food support to people in their communities through a variety of programs including food shelves, free community meals, shelters, and more. Although demand for this food stream is high, a recurrent barrier for smaller meal program partners is a lack of staff, time, and transportation resources to collect the donations. We
are looking for volunteers to help expand our successful recovery of food throughout
(Raleigh, Durham, etc), and we need your help.
Volunteers are needed to transport food from donors to local agency partners. Volunteers will be
trained in safe food transport practices and will be alerted to donation collection/delivery
opportunities via their smartphone. Flexible opportunity with some weekday availability
required. Volunteers will receive notifications through texts when a donation needs collecting, and
volunteers can accept or decline an opportunity based on their availability.
• Complete a program orientation and safe food transport training – date TBD
• Download and monitor the MealConnect app to be aware of collection opportunities
• Collect food donations at designated donor locations and deliver to designated agency
partner using the required volunteer collection materials provided
• Check and log food temperatures at both collection and delivery points
• Communicate with FBCENC staff to provide feedback on individual donations and
• Access to own vehicle and current driver’s license
• Smartphone with access to an internet browser and data available
• Willingness to assist people of diverse economic, social and ethnic backgrounds and uphold
a non-judgmental, positive regard
• Ability to provide proof of motor vehicle insurance
• Willingness to complete a criminal background check and motor vehicle record check
• Ability to meet FBCENC’s guidelines for acceptable driving record and
• Willingness to complete mandatory training
• Ability to make a commitment to participate through the end of
• Friendly, helpful “customer service” demeanor
• Highly respectful of client/donor confidentiality
• Dependable and punctual
• Committed to following food safety guidelines
• Able to lift and carry 30-50 pounds
• Able to operate a motor vehicle
TIME REQUIREMENTS AND SCHEDULE:
• Total time requirement: Through December 2020 6 month time commitment
• Days of the week: Flexible, however some weekday availability is required. Volunteers will
receive notifications through the app when a donation needs collecting, and volunteer can
• Time of Day: Flexible, however some daytime availability necessary
• Work site: Various locations throughout (Raleigh, Durham, etc)
This opportunity has passed.
No location specified.