This page is part of Activate Good’s Triangle Cause Wiki, a collaborative online knowledge base about Triangle area issues that can be tackled by locals through volunteer action.
Table of Contents
How You Can Help
About Homelessness in Our Community
Overview of Issue Impacts
When we think about what causes homelessness, we often think about addiction, mental illness, domestic violence, job loss, and disabilities… and those can all be accurate demographic characteristics of the homeless population (1). However, both mental illness and addiction are very real amongst the homeless and many people struggle with using alcohol and/or drugs to ease the symptoms of an untreated mental illness. Moreover, those same adjectives describe not only the homeless, but also those who are not. People of all kinds experience the same types of hardships. There could be someone in your own community struggling with mental illness, drug/alcohol dependency, domestic violence or other traumas, or losing their job. The difference between people who experience those challenges and become homeless and people who experience them and don’t is support. If we have a strong support system around us when something unprecedented happens, then people who care about us help us get by. Someone who is homeless could have at one point had family support and lost it because of mental illness and/or substance abuse problems. More often though, they never had that support to begin with. People who are homeless go through the same hardships as everyone else, just with lack of support (1).
More than 200,000 people (37 percent of the overall population) in America sleep outside and in other locations. Among those who are homeless, 1 in 2 are unsheltered. It may be beneficial to examine the locations with the highest homeless counts. Such places like California, Florida, New York, and Texas. These locations share a common characteristic which is relatively large general populations with major cities and numerous towns and smaller cities (2).
Communities respond to homelessness through a variety of programs, including emergency shelters, transitional housing, rapid re-housing, and permanent supportive housing. However, homeless services systems do not have enough resources to fully meet the needs of everyone experiencing homelessness.
One easy way to help the homeless is to donate items to local organizations that provide housing or other services for the homeless. Also, you can donate canned or boxed goods to your local soup kitchen or homeless shelter. Rather than donating to these organizations, you can also assist them in:
- Packing boxes with foods for distribution to homeless people
- Serving hot food at a soup kitchen
- Helping homeless people transition to working a job and paying bills
- Training homeless people in a skill like gardening or playing an instrument
Populations Affected by Issue
Homelessness in the US 553,742
There are an estimated 553,742 people in the United States experiencing homelessness on a given night, according to the most recent national point-in-time estimate (January 2017). This represents a rate of approximately 17 people experiencing homelessness per every 10,000 people in the general population (2). 56% of people experiencing homelessness are in the five states that have the largest homeless counts (2).
Single individuals made up 66.7% of all people experiencing homelessness (369,081 people), with the remaining 33.3% being people in families (184,661 adults and children). 7.2% were veterans (40,056), and 7.4% were unaccompanied children and young adults (40,799) (2). 60% of all people experiencing homelessness are male. Amongst individuals, 70% are men and/or unaccompanied male youth (2).
Connected Community Issues
Interested in learning more about this issue? Check out some of these books, articles, documentaries, podcasts, and more.
Documentaries and Videos
Podcasts and Other Resources
Thank you to the following contributors:
- Spring 2021:
- Robert C.
The Triangle Cause Wiki is always incomplete — there’s always new information out there, and the journey to share it is best completed together. Would you like to help us collect and share knowledge about this topic? Learn about contributing to the Triangle Cause Wiki.
Last updated April 2021
Keep in touch
Sign up for our newsletter to hear about volunteer opportunities and campaigns.