This contest is now over. CONGRATS to Keith Morris for his winning story!
Volunteering is good for the heart, mind, body, and–according to science–your love life! Getting involved in the community connects you to causes you can be passionately in love with, and sometimes it connects you to someone or something you just can’t live without. So whether it be your lover, your best friend, or maybe even your dog, Activate Good invites you to share your volunteer love story for a chance to win dinner for two at The Melting Pot of Raleigh.
Inspired by the volunteer love story of our president and co-founder Amber Smith, we decided that we needed to hear more stories like hers. In September 2004, Amber set off on a two-and-a-half month road trip across the country with her best friend. Their goal was volunteering and conducting acts of kindness across the states. She’d imagined all along that the journey would change her life forever–but love was the last thing she expected to find on the road! A few weeks into the trip, during a stay in Chicago, Amber met Shane. The tale of Amber’s adventure across the states inspired Shane to quit his dead-end job and take to the road with her and her friend. From state to state, the group volunteered for a variety of causes, meeting fellow do-gooders in cities from Seattle to New Orleans. By the end of the trip, the travelers had been inspired by the idea to promote volunteerism back at home in North Carolina. And, Amber and Shane had found romance.
So, tell us about your volunteer valentine. Maybe you met while you were volunteering like Amber and Shane, or maybe volunteering is just something you do together. Even if you plan to be celebrating “Singles Awareness Day” instead, we still invite you to share the story of how you volunteer with your best friend, your sibling, or your favorite co-worker.
Special thanks our contest sponsor, The Melting Pot of Raleigh!
P.S.: If you’ve been inspired by these tales of love and community, sign up on our site to volunteer for local causes–and spin more volunteer love stories for the ages!
[hr color=”gray” width=”2″ border_width=”2″ ]
HOW TO ENTER
Go to activategood.uservoice.com.
Submit your volunteer love story of at least 200 words.
Ask your friends to vote for your story! Share on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn!
HOW TO VOTE
Find a story that you want to vote for.
On the right hand side, choose how many votes you want to give to a story. (You only have 10 votes to award!)
Vote – and that’s it!
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary in order to enter this contest.
In order to enter this contest, you must agree to the official rules as listed below.
- The “Won’t You Be My Volunteer” contest will run on activategood.uservoice.com from February 7, 2012 to 11:59PM on February 28, 2012.
- Participants must be at least 18 years of age and must reside in or volunteer in the “Triangle area” of North Carolina, as defined by a residential or volunteer organization address in the following counties: Wake, Durham, Orange, Chatham, Harnett, Johnston, Nash, Franklin and Granville. Entries received by participants outside of the indicated counties will be ineligible to win the contest prize.
- To enter, a contestant will submit a story of at least 200 words in the “Share your volunteer love story” box.
- Contestants must provide a valid email address in order to be eligible to receive the contest prize.
- All entries, as well as their comments, will be reviewed by Activate Good committee members, and any entries or comments deemed to contain inappropriate content will be void, deleted and removed from consideration in the contest, and from the website. Inappropriate content is defined as: any kind of advertising or personal solicitation of a product or business; offensive, inflammatory, or demeaning material; pornographic or sexually explicit material; slander, name-calling or disparaging language; any reference to illegal actions or materials. All user generated content posted by users on activategood.uservoice.com is considered property of Activate Good, and Activate Good committee members reserve the right to remove any content which is deemed inappropriate. Activate Good and its committee members also reserve the right to use all user generated contest for marketing purposes.
- To win, an entry must have the most votes. A winner will be selected based on the number of votes for their “love story” and announced on March 1, 2012. In the event of a tie in number of votes, the winner will be selected randomly.
- The contest prize is a certificate for a Four Course Classic dinner for two at The Melting Pot of Raleigh, located at 3100 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC, 27609, and is valued at $75.00. The prize does not include tax or gratuity and cannot be used on a special event or holiday. Other prize restrictions may apply — contest winner should contact The Melting Pot for more details about the dinner certificate.
- Activate Good board and committee members may post entries, but are ineligible to win the contest prize.